Monday, August 13, 2012

Reminiscing

As I was looking through my email I found this draft I wrote of my testimony (I ran out of space in my journal so I had to type it) when I was in Galilee. It has been about four months since I have returned from Jerusalem and through my daily life I am often reminded of the things that I learned and the wonderful experiences I had there. This is my testimony:

At the shore of the sea of Galilee we had a fireside. As Brother Harper talked about Peter and Jesus as they were on the sea of Galilee and Peter walked to Jesus in the water and as he got frightened and started to sink and Jesus said, "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" I felt the spirit so strongly and it was amazing being able to look out onto the sea and imagine that scene happening. Knowing that I was at the place it happened brought the spirit so strongly into my heart. We should never doubt Christ, we must always put our faith in him because he will save us. We can all relate to Peter, as we do doubt and often forget our God and Christ. I am truly blessed to be able to be here at all these places where I know the Savior was. But being here and knowing the places isn't what builds my testimony, it is the actual experiences that happened in the places that build my testimony. These experiences and stories that we read in the Bible help strengthen my testimony by showing how Christ lived and his example and the example and lessons we can learn from him and his apostles. I am so grateful for my Savior and his atonement. I know that I am not perfect but because he died for me I can become perfect through him. The Savior showed his love for us through his ministry and lastly and most importantly through his atonement. Because of his atonement I can feel his love constantly and can be comforted through him because he knows us and he can relate to any experience that we have. That is the most comforting thing. Although I make mistakes and often forget the Savior, he is still willing to help me and bless me. His love for us will never fade nor die. Reading through the New Testament shows me how I can be like Christ and gives me inspiration to try and be more like Jesus. We began our fireside with the song I'm Trying to be Like Jesus and I know that the way we can return to our Heavenly Father is by striving always to be like Jesus because he is perfect. (March 28th, 2012)


A beautiful view of the Sea of Galilee

The best place ever!

I realize more now that I am home how much I learned when I was there. I find the information and stories in the Bible more real and interesting to me now that I have been to the places in it and studied it more deeply. Not only am I grateful for the what I learned about Christ's life and the Bible but I am so grateful for the love and respect I gained for the culture and the people there. I am so grateful for my experience there and will never forget the impact it has made in my life. I am also so so grateful for the gospel. It is what has made me the person I am today and it has brought me great happiness and comfort in my life.

If anyone is even considering doing a semester at The Jerusalem Center, DO IT! You will be so glad you did.


1 comment:

  1. Amen, girl! That is triple points for you. I have no idea how I stumbled across this (probably because I am a huge fan of yours ;), but I am so glad that I did! I DO miss that holy place and the people even more. GSG for life!!!

    ReplyDelete